Kushida Shrine has the longest history as a village shrine in Fukuoka City. Shrines for each of Shinto’s three gods (Amaterasu Omikami, Ohatanushi no Omikami, and Susano no Omikami) were built in 757 AD and 941 AD. These shrines were broad and magnificent; however, they were destroyed by fire in battle. The present shrine was rebuilt as part of Toyotomi Hideyoshi’s reconstruction of Hakata in 1587. The shrine is fervently revered as “Okushida-sama”, god of immortality and success in business. It is also the starting point of “Oiyama”, the crowning event in the finale of Fukuoka’s most famous festival, “Hakata Gion Yamakasa”.
*About the Shrine: Originally built in 757 AD
*Accessibility: Wheelchair ramp
|Address||812-0026 1-41 Kamikawabata Town, Hakata Ward, Fukuoka City, Fukuoka|
|Parking||Available; 100 vehicles|
|Access||By subway – A 5 minute walk from Gion Subway Station
By bus – A 2 minute walk from Nishitetsu “Canal City Mae” stop
|Genre||Shrines and Temples (History and Culture)|
The information on this page, including hours of operation and prices, is subject to change. For the latest information and details, please check the store or the organizer's website, or contact them directly.