Imamura Catholic Church
Imamura Catholic Church was built in the Romanesque style with red bricks and has two towers. As one of the few brick churches remaining in Japan, it is highly valuable.
In 1867 (Keio 3), Christians hiding in Imamura were discovered by other Christians in Urakami, Nagasaki. The Imamura Christians kept their faith while secretly maintaining contact with the other Christians. The construction of the church was planned by priest Honda Tamotsu in 1908 (Meiji 41), and it was built in 1913 (Taisho 2) with donations from foreign countries (especially Germany) and labor services provided by Christians. It is a distinguished-looking building with French stained glasses and 14 sacred paintings of the Passion, pillars made of Mt. Kora’s cedars, and custom-made bricks.
|Address||830-1223 707 Ima, Tachiarai Town, Mitsui County|
Tachiarai Town Office Industry Division
(*In the case of church events [mass, rites, etc.], entrance won’t be permitted.)
|Parking||Available; 40 vehicles|
|Access||・A 15 minute drive from Nishitetsu Ogori Station on the Tenjin Omuta Line
・A 20 minute walk from Nishitetsu Ozeki Station on the Amagi Line
・About a 20 minute drive from JR Tosu Staion on the Kagoshima Main Line
・About a 15 minute walk from the Chikugo Ogori Interchange off the Oita Expressway
|Times Available||9am – 5pm
(Saturday: 9am – 2pm / 3:30pm – 5pm)
|Genre||Gardens and Buildings (History and Culture)|
The information on this page, including hours of operation and prices, is subject to change. For the latest information and details, please check the store or the organizer's website, or contact them directly.