VISIT FUKUOKA

Winch Pedestal

This pedestal was used to support a winch that would hoist or lower a rope to pull a lorry, delivering materials and miners to (and mining coal from) an underground coal-mining shaft. It is one of the largest in the Chikuho region and is thought to have been used in the Taisho Era (1912 – 1926). This red brick pedestal is a rare find, since winch pedestals built after World War II were all constructed using cement. At the time of its use, there is thought to have been a power shed on the pedestal that ran off a steam engine.

About the Structure: Town-Designated Tangible Cultural Asset; built at the end of the Taisho Era or beginning of the Showa Era (1920’s).

Address 820-0073 460-8 Hiratsune, Izuka City, Fukuoka
Contact Tel:0948-25-2930 
Fees Free
Parking Unavailable
Access By train – A 20 minute walk from JR Tento Station on the Chikuho Main Line.
Times Available 9am – 5pm
Area Chikuho Area
Genre Historical Assets and Castles (History and Culture)

The information on this page, including hours of operation and prices, is subject to change. For the latest information and details, please check the store or the organizer's website, or contact them directly.